A Certified Billing & Coding Specialist (CBCS) is an individual who has passed a coding certification examination sponsored by the National Healthcare Association (NHA). The examination consists of questions regarding administrative procedures for medical billing and insurance claim processing as well as Submitting, tracing, appealing, and transmitting billing claims for today’s full range of health plans.
The CBCS exam covers topics such as:
- Role of an Insurance Billing Specialist
- Basics of Health Insurance
- Medical Documentation
- Diagnostic and Treatment Coding
- The Health Insurance Claim Form
- Electronic Data Interchange
- Receiving Data and Insurance Problem Solving
- Office and Insurance Collection Strategies
- Healthcare Payers: Managed Care Systems, Medicare, Medicaid and Other State Programs, TRICARE, VA and Workers Compensation
- Inpatient and Outpatient Billing
- HIPPA Compliance Regulations
The Medical Billing and Coding Specialist training program is designed to empower students with skills and
knowledge necessary to fit easily into the workplace as an entry-level employee in the growing industry of
Healthcare Information Management.
Upon completion of this comprehensive training program, graduates possess the knowledge and skills
necessary to obtain employment in any number of medical facilities, including but not limited to:
Office Billing Department
- Admitting Clerk
- Front Office Medical Assistant
- Medical Records Department
- Insurance Billing Agencies
- Patient Accounts Representative/Hospital
- Medical Insurance Company Claims Processors
- Ambulatory and other Out-Patient Healthcare Facilities
- HMO and Other Medical Centers
Certifying Organization: National Healthcareer Association (NHA)
The NHA was established in 1989 as an information resource and network for today's active healthcare professionals. NHA has met the mark of approval and gained recognition for the quality education and services offered and has become the benchmark in professional healthcare certification.
Why train with New Horizons?
At New Horizons, our experienced instructors will help you develop the skills you'll need to begin working in the medical field. We've created a training program designed to not only teach you skills but to help give you an idea of what to expect on the job, and we've done it in the most cost-effective way.